Normally, I prefer Domke-style bags. My F3X is almost perfect. However, for SoFoBoMo, I’m going to be carrying my RB67 with both my lenses and my 055XPROB pretty much all the time, and carrying the 055 as well as the RB67 is a bit of a stretch using the F3X and a tripod bag.
So, I went the other direction and got a modern camera backpack. I looked at a bunch of different models, and unlike previous times I shopped for a backpack, I was able to immediately discard the models that were designed to carry a laptop or designed for quick access. (This is mainly for the RB67 and tripod work — not impromptu shooting.)
I settled on the ThinkTank Streetwalker Pro. In addition to its excellent name, I’ve been wanting a ThinkTank product for a while (to see if the hype is justified), and I liked some of the design aspects. It’s not intended for air travel or hiking in the country, but for carrying a bunch of crap around in an urban setting all day — which is what I need.
* The outgassing from this bag has an interesting smell. Sort of durian-like
* The bag has a cute little corporate folder with pictures of photographers and their job descriptions all over it and the instructions inside (yes, the backpack needs instructions)
* Build quality is extremely high. Better than Lowepro and similar bags, not that there’s anything wrong with Lowepro’s build quality
* There are a lot of nice design nuances, particularly with the straps and whatnot
* Lots of pockets and loops and d-rings and dinguses
* The tripod holder works fairly well, even with a bulk tripod like my 055.
* The interior space is a good shape for all and only photography gear, which is what I wanted
If you click through to flickr, I’ve got some notes on these images providing additional commentary.